The History of Reddiford School
Reddiford Prep School was 100 years old in September 2013 and the staff and pupils past and present, together with governors and parents celebrated the anniversary by holding a variety of events. A centenary book was also produced and a copy of this was given to all pupils, staff and governors.
The Founders of Reddiford School
The school was founded on its present Cecil Park site by William and Harold White, two brothers from Devon, who opened Reddiford School together with their mother on 21st September 1913; there were just five pupils on roll. The name Reddiford originates from the old English ‘reedy ford’ which described a shallow stream reputed never to run dry situated in Postbridge, Dartmoor close to the White family home.
Miss Emmeline Mary White
Emmeline Mary White, youngest member of the family, subsequently became Headmistress of the newly established Reddiford School which proceeded to flourish under her headship. In 1935 the adjoining house was purchased in order to accommodate the growing number of pupils and an additional five classrooms became available, with a sixth being built in the garden. The picture shows Mrs White and her staff outside Reddiford School in 1938.
Reddiford in 1931