History of Reddiford School

Reddiford Prep School was 100 years old in September 2013 and staff and pupils past and present, together with governors and parents, are preparing to celebrate the anniversary.

The school was founded on its present Cecil Park site by William and Harold White, two brothers from Devon, who opened Reddiford School together with their mother on  21st September 1913; there were just five pupils on roll. The name Reddiford originates from the old English ‘reedy ford’ which described a shallow stream reputed never to run dry situated in Exmoor close to the White family home. 

Emmeline Mary White, youngest member of the family, subsequently became Headmistress of the newly established Reddiford School which proceeded to flourish under her headship. In 1935 the adjoining house was purchased in order to accommodate the growing number of pupils and an additional five classrooms became available, with a sixth being built in the garden.

The Second World War brought about inevitable change to the school’s development, with many of the pupils being evacuated, and staff enlisted to the Home Guard; however, the family atmosphere which had prevailed previously soon resumed after the war due to the determination of Miss White and her staff together with the parents who had grown to value the warm and caring ethos that had made Reddiford so popular. Following Miss White’s death in 1972 a new classroom was built as a memorial to the woman who had worked tirelessly to create a successful school. In accordance with the wishes of the White family the school became a Charitable Trust in 1973.

Over the course of the ensuing forty years the school has grown and developed. Reddiford currently sits on three sites; the original site  in Cecil Park where pupils in years 3 to 6 are taught, and the Marsh Road site which accommodates years 1 and 2, as well as the evening ballet school. Three years ago the former clinic on Cecil Park was acquired by the school and has been refurbished to a high standard to provide a purpose built facility for the Foundation and Reception pupils aged 3 to 5.

 

 

 

  • Stars